What are some of the Sunan of Jummu’ah (Friday)?
- To shower on the day of Jummu’ah if you are going to the musjid to pray
- To not talk from when the khutbah begins
- To read Surah Khaf
- Using the Miswaak
- Wearing atar
- Beautifying oneself with clean clothes. The Prophet (saw) was very particular with cleanliness. If his clothes smelt even slightly, he would change them and would smell of atar. He would also use the miswaak a lot.
- Going to the musjid early
- Sitting quietly and listening attentively to the khutba. So much to the point that the scholars have said one doesn’t need to respond to salaah which is usually waajib!
- Praying 4 Sunnah in the musjid or two at home after the fard.
- Sending lots and lots of salaat and salaam upon the Prophet (saw) as he mentioned in authentic narrations.
- Making du’a in the last half an hour or so before Maghrib which is a time du’a is accepted so supplicate profusely in that time. This is specific to Jummu’ah.
Allah knows best
Salman al-Farisi narrated that the Messenger of Allah (saw) said:
لَا يَغْتَسِلُ رَجُلٌ يَوْمَ الْجُمُعَةِ وَيَتَطَهَّرُ مَا اسْتَطَاعَ مِنْ طُهْرٍ وَيَدَّهِنُ مِنْ دُهْنِهِ أَوْ يَمَسُّ مِنْ طِيبِ بَيْتِهِ ثُمَّ يَخْرُجُ فَلَا يُفَرِّقُ بَيْنَ اثْنَيْنِ ثُمَّ يُصَلِّي مَا كُتِبَ لَهُ ثُمَّ يُنْصِتُ إِذَا تَكَلَّمَ الْإِمَامُ إِلَّا غُفِرَ لَهُ مَا بَيْنَهُ وَبَيْنَ الْجُمُعَةِ الْأُخْرَى
“If a man takes a bath on Friday, and purifies himself as much as possible, oils his hair, applies whatever perfume available in his house, sets forth (for the mosque), does not separate two people (to make a seat for himself), performs Salat what is prescribed for him, remains silent when the Imam speaks, his sins between that Friday and the following Friday will be forgiven.”
According to the authentic narration of Aws b. Aws reported by Ahmad and Abu Dawud, the Messenger of Allah (saw), said:
مَنْ اغْتَسَلَ يَوْمَ الْجُمُعَةِ وَغَسَّلَ ، وَبَكَّرَ وَابْتَكَرَ ، وَدَنَا وَاسْتَمَعَ وَأَنْصَتَ ، كَانَ لَهُ بِكُلِّ خُطْوَةٍ يَخْطُوهَا أَجْرُ سَنَةٍ صِيَامُهَا وَقِيَامُهَا
“Whoever does ghusl on Friday and washes his head, and sets out early, and comes close to the imam and listens and keeps quiet, for every step he takes he will have the reward of fasting and praying qiyaam for one year.”
Mind blowing narrations. The second is for those that are married and have relations with their wives as mentioned by many scholars.
It is said in Zaad al-Ma’aad, 1/285:
“Causes (his wife) to do ghusl” means has intercourse with his wife. This is is how it was interpreted by Wakee’.
What about du’a made between the two khutbas?
Some of the ulema have accepted this as one of the accepted times for du’as on Fridays.