It’s very important that we look at the Qur’an as a series of messages from a beloved one which we don’t understand. If it was someone we loved we would go to any lengths to decipher it and understand it! We should have the same mentality with the Speech of Allah!
- Recite it
- Memorise it
- Acting upon it is the most important. The rest help in this and if a person can’t do any of the others then do this
- Understand it via word for word English.
- Word definitions in Arabic (Arabic to Arabic definitions)
- Uloom of the Qur’an which contains information about it
- Asbaab al Nuzool (This isn’t very important as there’s much khilaaf in it, however, it is interesting to know)
- Naasikh and Mansookh
- Tafseer of it
- I’raab of it
- Tajweed and perfection of its recitation
- Tadabbur upon it.
This is when a person becomes a truth hafidh; acting upon it. Otherwise a person who has memorised it and no action is a haamil al Qur’an; someone who is just carrying it around.
مَثَلُ الَّذِينَ حُمِّلُوا التَّوْرَاةَ ثُمَّ لَمْ يَحْمِلُوهَا كَمَثَلِ الْحِمَارِ يَحْمِلُ أَسْفَارًا بِئْسَ مَثَلُ الْقَوْمِ الَّذِينَ كَذَّبُوا بِآيَاتِ اللَّهِ وَاللَّهُ لَا يَهْدِي الْقَوْمَ الظَّالِمِينَ
“The likeness of those who were entrusted with the (obligation of the) Taurat (Torah) (i.e. to obey its commandments and to practise its legal laws), but who subsequently failed in those (obligations), is as the likeness of a donkey who carries huge burdens of books (but understands nothing from them). How bad is the example (or the likeness) of people who deny the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allah. And Allah guides not the people who are Zalimun (polytheists, wrong-doers, disbelievers, etc.).