Planting the seeds of awe and fear of Allah in children is far more important than them memorising the Qur’an when they are young. However, memorising the Qur’an is praiseworthy.
One of the people of the past said, the righteous and intelligent person is the one who perfects his faraaid and a jaahil is the one who gives precedence to the optional actions and fadaail over the obligatory actions.
For example, a person prays a very long qiyam al layl and misses the Fajr prayer or prays his Fajr at home even though he lives close to the Musjid.
- A man came to Ibn al Jawzi (rh) and said, I want to divorce my wife, I’m tired of her and so on. Ibn Jawzi (rh) replied, you need to sit somewhere quiet and repent to Allah.
- When they thought about fighting Hajjaj, the tyrant, they said, you have been given Hajjaj as a punishment from Allah and if you fight this one, Allah has many many Hajjajs.
- A man was sworn at so he repented to Allah for whatever he had done to be sworn at.
What We Learn from These Stories:
- Always repent if something goes wrong.
- Always blame yourself and not others.
- Don’t ever think you’re free of doing bad things. We have all sinned in our lives so when something bad happens to us, don’t begin to ask why. Just because we forgot about the sin and didn’t repent for it doesn’t mean Allah forgot!
Ibn Hajr (rh) mentions that it’s better to do good deeds in secret. However, if a person wants to encourage someone to do an action, then there’s no harm in showing them, as long as there’s no Riya.
The Prophet (saw) was never one to not reply to the people or not answer them when it was needed. Communication was extremely important as can be seen all throughout the Seerah. So, let’s follow the Prophet (saw) in all aspects of our lives.
The people of the past said, there is no action on the face of this earth better than seeking knowledge; for the one who fears Allah and has the correct intention.
Luqman (as) said to his son, let not the cock be cleverer than you; it crows at dawn whilst you are asleep.
Let us ensure that we are taking a portion of the night prayer, especially from the last third of the night.