- Looking down on others
- Looking down at the truth
- A major sin
- A characteristic of Shaytaan
Signs of an arrogant person:
- Always expecting others to give them salaam first
- Never seeking advice in matters
- Always thinking they are right and are unable to admit when they are wrong
- Thinking that they know everything and don’t need to be taught / learn (even though they have never studied)
- Remembering other’s faults and flaws and forgetting their own
- Constantly reminding others of a sin they have done, even though they have repented for it!
- Thinking they are better than others due to their wealth, background, knowledge, looks and so on.
How to cure arrogance:
- First, admit you’ve got a problem. If a person can’t do this then they’ll never improve!
- Secondly, think of all the times you’ve been arrogant, (sit in a room quietly and ponder) and then repent for it. Refer to the signs above to aid in this.
- Thirdly, remember that you are competing with Allah: Mightiness and Loftiness are for Him Alone! Learn about Him!
- Fourthly, remember that you are made from the mixing of waters. How can someone with such a lowly beginning think so highly of themselves!
Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood said that the Prophet (sallallaahu ʻalayhi wa sallam) said: “No one who has an atom’s-weight of arrogance in his heart will enter Paradise.”
Seek blessings from Allah when you see something that amazes you, whether it is from yourself or others.
Your inability to seek blessings from Allah when you see someone doing well or having a blessing, can indicate envy in your heart.
This usually occurs with people in the same field; seeking knowledge, profession or even with children.
Make du’a for the person instead and cleanse your heart from this jealousy.
If someone has more focus in their optional prayers than in their obligatory prayers.
If you see someone with a blessing; children, wealth, health or something you’ve always wanted, don’t let jealousy darken your heart.
Say maasha’Allah tabaarkAllah!
Teach this to others as it’s very common for people to become jealous.
Jealousy/envy are from the characteristics of Shaytaan! For those that know the signs of jealousy, it’s clear when someone is jealous of another person.
Some signs a person is jealous:
- Not saying maasha’Allah tabaarkAllah!
- Always speaking badly about the person
- Always looking for their mistakes
- Never making excuses for the person
- Being happy when the person slips up or something bad happens to them
This can happen to anyone, as it even occurred amongst the sons of a Prophet! The clever one is the one who saves himself from it!
One of the reasons why a person will go to Jannah is by having a clean heart. One of the ways to clean your heart is to remove hatred.
Try to think about anyone that’s ever offended you or done anything bad to you and then forgive them.
This doesn’t mean that you have to be best friends with them if it’s someone you don’t naturally get along with but remove that hate from your heart.
Just because you see someone not doing something you do doesn’t mean you are better than them! This is arrogance. For example, they don’t have a beard and you do, or they don’t wear a niqaab and you do.
How do you know that they don’t do other good actions? This could be a weakness they have and you looking down on them is arrogance, which is an even greater sin!
A narration that comes to mind is about the woman who prayed her obligations and nawaafil and yet she will still be in the Hellfire due to harming her neighbour.
Don’t look down on anyone.