Prophet Yusuf, peace be upon him, had many reasons to commit adultery, yet he didn’t.
- He was a young man. Youth is a strong cause for adultery.
- He was single.
- He was a foreigner. It is known that a foreigner is not ashamed in the country of alienation, contrarily to his existence in his homeland, where he would be ashamed among his friends and acquaintances.
- He was a slave, as he was sold cheaply with few dirhams (silver coins). The restraint of a slave is not like that of the free person.
- The woman was beautiful.
- The woman had a high position.
- She was his owner.
- There was no watcher.
- She dressed up especially for him.
- She had closed the doors.
- It was she who tried to seduce him.
- She was very keen in seducing him.
- She threatened him that if he did not do what she commanded him to do, she would humiliate him.
Still, Yusuf, peace be upon him, showed patience throughout.
Patience is the foundation of the Believer’s faith, which has no other foundation. The one who has no patience has no faith, and if he has any, then it is only a little faith and it is very weak, and such a person worships Allaah as if he were upon the edge (i.e. in doubt): if good befalls him, he is content therewith; but if a trial befalls him he turns back on his face (i.e. reverts to disbelief after embracing Islam). He loses both this world and the Hereafter (cf. al-Hajj 22:11). All he gets from them is a losing deal.
The best life is attained by the Blessed through patience, and they rise to the highest degrees through their gratitude. So, they fly on the wings of patience and gratitude to gardens of delight (i.e., Paradise). That is the bounty of Allaah that He bestows upon whomsoever He wills, and Allaah is the Owner of Great Bounty. End quote from ‘Uddat al-Saabireen by Ibn al-Qayyim, p. 3-5.
‘Umar ibn ‘Abd al-‘Azeez (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: Allaah has not bestowed any blessing upon His slaves, then taken it away and replaced it with patience, but what He has compensated them with is better than what He has taken away.
Prophet Yusuf (peace be upon him) had many opportunities made available to him to commit adultery but didn’t. For example:
1. He was a young man. Being in your youth is a strong cause for committing adultery.
2. He was single and had no way to discharge his libido (sexual desire).
3. He was a foreigner. It is known that a foreigner is not ashamed in the country of alienation, contrarily to his existence in his homeland, where he would be ashamed among his friends and acquaintances.
4. He was a slave, sold cheaply for a few dirhams (silver coins). The restraint of a slave is not like that of the free person.
5. The woman who seduced him was beautiful.
6. The woman had a high position.
7. She was his owner.
8. There was no watcher.
9. She had dressed up especially for him.
10. She had closed the doors.
11. It was she who tried to seduce him.
12. She was very keen (tried very hard) in seducing him.
13. She threatened him. If he did not do what she commanded him she would humiliate him.