The Messenger of Allah (saw) said: Whoever says – upon going out of his home:
Bismillãh, tawakkaltu `alã ‘allãh, lã hawla wa lã quwwata ‘illã bil-lãhi ta`ãla,
[I put my trust in Allah, there is neither might nor strength, except by Allah, the Most High]
It is said to him:
“You have been sufficed, protected, and guided, and the shaytaan would move aside from him, then say to another shaytaan: What access do you have to a man that has been guided, sufficed, and protected?”
Sunan Abi Dawud
In Sahih Muslim the Prophet (saw) said:
اقْرَأُوا الْبَقَرَةَ فَإِنَّ أَخْذَهَا بَرَكَةٌ وَتَرْكَهَا حَسْرَةٌ وَلَا تَسْتَطِيعُهَا الْبَطَلَة
Read Surah Al-Baqarah because in having it there is a blessing, and in ignoring it is a sorrow and the sorceresses cannot contend with it.
3 ways to protect oneself from this evil generally:
- In the house: Read Surah al Baqarah
- Outside the house: Read the du’a for leaving the house
بسم الله توكلت على الله ولا حول ولا قوة الا بالله
- Outside: If it’s a place you don’t know then read the du’a for seeking protection in unknown places.
If a person does those along with other things then this is a great amount of protection.
3 things which a person can do to stay protected from Shaytaan as mentioned by a senior scholar in this field:
1) Recite Surat al Baqarah as Shaytaan flees from the house it’s recited in as mentioned in Sahih Muslim. In another narration it mentions there is blessings in it, leaving it is sadness and sorceresses cannot come close to it.
2) بِسْمِ اللهِ، تَوَكَّلْتُ عَلَى اللهِ، وَلَا حَوْلَ وَلَا قُوَّةَ إِلَّا بِاللهِ which was authenticated by a scholar when leaving the house.
3.) أَعُوذُ بِكَلِمَاتِ اللَّهِ التَّامَّاتِ مِنْ شَرِّ مَا خَلَقَ لَمْ This is said when a person is scared of a place they are in.
Never forget to do morning adkhar. They can be found from Fortress of a Muslim and they can be done as soon as Fajr time starts.
A man came to imam Ahmed (rh) and asked him about some issues of fiqh and then he was about to leave. Imam Ahmed (rh) asked him if he knew the du’a for leaving the musjid. The man replied no so Imam Ahmed (rh) said start with that first.
Imam Ahmed (rh) is reminding the man of a small du’a for entering the musjid so imagine the importance of the morning and evening adkhar.
These adkhar are vital for protection from evil eye and jinn and many other things.
3 things a person can do to stay protected from Shaytaan as mentioned by a senior scholar in this field:
1) Recite Surat al Baqarah as Shaytaan flees from the house it’s recited in as mentioned in Sahih Muslim. In another narration it mentions there is blessings in it, leaving it is sadness and sorceresses cannot come close to it. Another narration mentions, he (Shaytaan) won’t enter the house which it has been recited in for three days!
2. When leaving the house to say the following as it was authenticated by a scholar:
بِسْمِ اللهِ، تَوَكَّلْتُ عَلَى اللهِ، وَلَا حَوْلَ وَلَا قُوَّةَ إِلَّا بِاللهِ
3. The following is said when a person is scared of a place they are in as mentioned in Sahih Muslim:
أَعُوذُ بِكَلِمَاتِ اللَّهِ التَّامَّاتِ مِنْ شَرِّ مَا خَلَقَ
The morning atkhar are a must even for lay Muslims let alone students!
Laa ‘ilaaha ‘illallaahu wahdahu laa shareeka lahu, lahul-mulku wa lahul-hamdu, wa Huwa ‘alaa kulli shay’in Qadeer. Especially this one 100 times.
When does the morning time for the athkar begin? It starts at the beginning time of Fajr and ends at a preferred time of sunrise. However, if one forgets and so on, it can be done after that.