- It’s shortened known as the hawqala.
- “Hawl” means movement and “quwwah” means strength.
- Ibn Abbas (ra) said that it means we have no power to act obediently except by Allah, nor do we have strength to leave a sin except by Allah.
- There are 5 ways of saying it as mentioned by ibn Malik (rh), the great scholar of language
- The Prophet (saw) said to Abu Moosa Al-Ash‘ari: “Should I guide you to a word which is one of the treasures of Paradise?” He replied in the affirmative. The Prophet (saw) said, “La hawla wala quwwata illa billaah.”
- [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim]
Al Nawawi (rh) mentions that the word “treasures” here means the reward in Jannah. Ibn Hajr (rh) said that it’s a reward stored for its companion.
- Saying it shows one’s trust in Allah with ikhlaas.
- It obligates the help of Allah.
- It shows one’s belief in Qadar.
It should be said seeking assistance and not as a statement of sadness, in calamities and it shouldn’t be said with despair.
If you are in an area or Musjid and the people aren’t used to a particular Sunnah then for the sake of unity and not causing differences that Sunnah should be left.
This is complete understanding of the religion.
Unity is obligatory and the action is a Sunnah and the obligation takes precedence.
So think carefully in front of family etc. Use wisdom. For example, you know saying Ameen out loud will cause problems and no one else does it then say it quietly!
Or you’re praying at home and moving your finger and you know your family will turn it into an issue, and if you don’t do it they are more likely to accept what you say then you leave it! Especially as moving the finger for example has been weakened by a lot of scholars! So you’re doing something which isn’t authentic anyway, creating fitnah with it and putting people off from listening to you!
Think of the greater good.
🔹قال بعض الحكماء:
🖋من تفرد بالعلم لم توحشه خلوة،
🖋ومن تسلى بالكتب لم تفته سلوة،
🖋ومن آنسه قراءة القرآن لم توحشه مفارقة الاخوان.
📕[ادب الدنيا والدين للماوردي]
✍🏻 قال ابن الجوزي رحمه الله :
يَا مَنْ وَفَّى رَمَضَانَ عَلَى أَحْسَنِ حَالٍ،
لا تَتَغَيَّرْ بَعْدَهُ فِي شَوَّالٍ،
يَا مَنْ رَأَى الْعِيدَ وَوَصَلَ إِلَيْهِ، مَتَى تَشْكُرُ الْمُنْعِمَ وَتُثْنِي عَلَيْهِ.
📚« التبصرة ٢-١١٤»