The following are areas you can work on with the young children in your life; children, nephews, nieces, cousins, during their holidays. Not only will they benefit from this tarbiya but you will also benefit.
- Ask them why they are Muslim. Some will say because their parents are Muslim. This isn’t sufficient. We need to teach them that Islam is the best way. By doing this and giving examples through stories found in the Qur’an, it’ll help their faith not to be rattled by the slightest thing.
After achieving this, then move on to:
- Salaah: Give meaning to it. Think about it from a spiritual perspective. Give your young ones examples of how the salaah helps you become spiritually fulfilled.
- Quran: Explain to your children that it’s not just about recitation but also understanding. Again, explain how the Qur’an can spiritually fulfil you.
- Making sure a person is pious and righteous himself.
And as for the wall, it belonged to two orphan boys in the city, and there was beneath it a treasure for them, and their father had been righteous. So your Lord intended that they reach maturity and extract their treasure, as a mercy from your Lord. And I did it not of my own accord. That is the interpretation of that about which you could not have patience.”
- Make du’a.
And We have enjoined upon man, to his parents, good treatment. His mother carried him with hardship and gave birth to him with hardship, and his gestation and weaning [period] is thirty months. [He grows] until, when he reaches maturity and reaches [the age of] forty years, he says, “My Lord, enable me to be grateful for Your favor which You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents and to work righteousness of which You will approve and make righteous for me my offspring. Indeed, I have repented to You, and indeed, I am of the Muslims.”
(Qur’an 46: 15)
- Teaching them about salaah and ordering your family with the salaah.
وَأْمُرْ أَهْلَكَ بِالصَّلَاةِ وَاصْطَبِرْ عَلَيْهَا لَا نَسْأَلُكَ رِزْقًا نَّحْنُ نَرْزُقُكَ وَالْعَاقِبَةُ لِلتَّقْوَىٰ
And enjoin As-Salat (the prayer) on your family, and be patient in offering them [i.e. the Salat (prayers)]. We ask not of you a provision (i.e. to give Us something: money, etc.); We provide for you. And the good end (i.e. Paradise) is for the Muttaqun (pious)