Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood said that the Prophet (saw) said: “No one who has an atom’s-weight of arrogance in his heart will enter Paradise.”
- Arrogance is looking down on others / looking down on the truth.
- It’s from the major sins.
- It’s a characteristic of Shaytaan.
Signs of an Arrogant Person
- Always expecting others to give them salaam first.
- Never seeking advice in matters.
- Always thinking one is right and unable to admit when one is wrong.
- Thinks he knows everything and doesn’t need to be taught / learn anything (even though he’s never studied).
- Remembering other’s faults and flaws but forgetting their own.
- Constantly reminding a person of a sin they committed, even though they have repented for it!
- Thinking one is better than others due to wealth, background, knowledge, looks and so on.
Cure for Arrogance
- Admit you have a problem. If a person can’t do that then they’ll never improve!
- Think of anytime you’ve been arrogant (sit in a room quietly and ponder) and then repent for it. Look at the list above to help you.
- Remember, you are competing with Allah: Mightiness and Loftiness are for Him Alone! Learn about Him!
- You are made from the mixing of waters, so how can someone with such a lowly beginning think so highly of themselves?!